To assist primary insurers, reinsurers, and reinsurance intermediaries to efficiently
utilize detailed exposure information, AIR Worldwide (AIR) developed
the standard data format, UNICEDE®. Since its introduction in 1993, the UNICEDE family
of data formats has become the industry standard for insurance data exchange.
The UNICEDE family consists of several formats and tools, including:
- UNICEDE/2 format for aggregate exposure data for treaty reinsurance
- UNICEDE/px format for detailed exposure data for primary (direct) insurance
- UNICEDE/fx format for detailed exposure data for facultative reinsurance
- UNICEDECheck, a free online tool that checks UNICEDE and UNICEDE/2 files
All UNICEDE formats have the following common attributes:
- Easy to understand data standards
- Easy to assemble exposure data
- Widely understood, globally accepted, and easy to implement geographic areas used
to locate exposures
- Full flexibility as to the type of tool that can create data files, from simple
spreadsheets to complex database management systems
- Compact data files that are easy to transmit electronically
- Free reliable web-based resources that provide valuable information to all
users — insurers, reinsurers, agents, intermediaries, and modelers — to produce,
check and use the UNICEDE data standards
The UNICEDE/px and UNICEDE/fx Preparer’s Guides have been consolidated into the new Touchstone® Exposure Data Validation Reference, which is available through the “Documentation” link at the top of the page.
With the introduction of Touchstone, AIR provides several methods for importing, exporting, and sharing exposure data.
As of Touchstone 3.0, AIR will not be updating the UPX format to accommodate new exposure data attributes associated with the latest models and enhancements. Touchstone will continue to support existing UPX files (Version 13.0 to 16.0) and will continue to export UNICEDE/2 files.
However, users are encouraged to use the CSV format supported by ImportExpress™ and described in the new Touchstone Exposure Data Validation Reference.